As you may have read in our last blog post, fall can be a great opportunity to sell your home! And along those same lines, if you’re looking to find a deal, purchasing a home this time of year can also be beneficial. Either way, it’s time to get moving and for many Chetek buyers and sellers, that can come with a huge headache.
From packing boxes to hiring a moving company to unpacking and organizing your new Wisconsin home, there’s no doubt that moving can be draining— but it doesn’t have to be! Avoid the following common moving mistakes among Chetek area residents and you can ensure nothing is overlooked in the process:
Mistake #1: Not having a strategy
As you prepare to close on your new home in Chetek, it’s important to choose between moving yourself and hiring a moving team. Know that movers can be booked far in advance, so scheduling your move with them as soon as possible is ideal for overcoming one of the first hurdles of moving to a new home.
Part of your strategy should include a detailed calendar counting the number of days you have left until moving day. Dedicate your spare time or each weekend prior to the move to organizing each room and choosing what will make it to the new home. Paring down your belongings ahead of time can save you boxes and aid in the de-cluttering process in the new property.
Mistake #2: Not researching movers
If you choose to hire professional movers to transport your things to the next home, do your research ahead of time! Your real estate agent can recommend local experts, but it is also helpful to read reviews and check references. Ask for estimates from more than one company, giving them all of the necessary information up front so they can provide an accurate number.
After you choose a moving company, read the fine print carefully before signing any documents. Make sure you understand and agree with their plan in addition to their policies on damaged or lost items.
Mistake #3: Not unpacking properly
The packing aspect of moving is perhaps the most dreaded among Chetek WI buyers and sellers. Consider the following as you begin to load your belongings into boxes:
- Do not wait until the last minute! Start packing as soon as possible to avoid leaving anything behind or placing items into the wrong box.
- Remember to add padding to your boxes if they contain fragile items. Shifting inside boxes is bound to happen when transporting from house to house, so take extra precautions and wrap each item carefully.
- Make an inventory list. All of the items you’re allowing the movers to transport should be detailed along with their current conditions to avoid problems if they don’t make it to the property intact.
- Label all of your boxes with a room or location in your new Northwestern Wisconsin home. Taking the time to label each box and place each item accordingly will save you time as you organize later.
- Set aside a box with just the essentials. Pack a box with a change of clothes, toiletries and other essentials you may need for the first day or two in your new home. In doing so, you avoid rummaging through boxes to find your toothbrush after your first night.
Moving to a new home in the City of Lakes is an exciting process, so don’t let the logistics bring you down! Six Lakes Realty is here to help make your homebuying or selling journey as seamless as possible this year. Give us a call today!
Six Lakes Realty
Office: (715) 924-4806