Autumn is beautiful in Northwestern Wisconsin, but cold weather can set in early! If you haven’t already taken care of fall maintenance for your home, now’s the time to start tackling it. Here’s a checklist to help you get started!
1. Inspect your roof. Make any needed repairs before bad weather worsens the damage.
2. Check the lower exterior walls of your home for any holes or cracks that could allow rodents. Holes the size of a dime can be an opening for mice!
3. Inspect your trees. Cut off any dead or dying branches and prune overgrowth.
4. Inspect gutters and downspouts; be sure they are securely attached. Clean them out. Repeat cleaning as needed due to falling leaves.
5. Keep leaves cleared from your lawn. Wet leaves can smother the grass and ruin the roots of your lawn. Wet, rotting leaves can enable fungal diseases to spread to other trees and plants.
6. Shut off water to exterior faucets and sprinkler systems.
7. Clean your furnace ducts and your clothes dryer vent.
8. Conduct a pre-season check of your heating system and change the furnace filter. Stock up on furnace filters, too! Ideally, furnace filters should be changed about once a month during the operating season.
9. Change batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. Detectors that are 10 years old or more should be replaced.
10. Have the fireplace and chimney cleaned out. Make sure the damper works properly.
11. Install weather stripping around doors and windows. If you have older windows, consider applying thermal-plastic film over the interior of them. When applied correctly, modern window film is virtually undetectable from the street.
12. If you have a vacation property that you will not be visiting in the winter, arrange for drive-by property checks.
If you need help buttoning up your home for winter, let us know! We can refer you to reliable contractors and service providers in Barron County.
Six Lakes Realty offers the very best in real estate guidance! We are a locally-owned family business with over 40 years of experience. Our friendly, hometown service is just a call away!
John Flor CRS, GRI, ABR, RSPS, RRS, e-PRO
Team Lead / Property Marketing Specialist
Six Lakes Realty powered by Keller Williams Realty Diversified
Office: (715) 924-4806